Located only moments from Launceston’s city centre, Duck Reach is an easy and rewarding 2-hour hike along South Esk River to the Duck Reach Power Station Museum. Constructed in 1895, the Duck Reach Power Station was one of the world’s first hydroelectric power stations.
View Google Map Directions
|From Launceston city centre, head south-west on Frederick Street and continue onto Hillside Crescent after 450m. Continue on Brougham Street for another 300m before turning right onto Basin Road. The carpark for the Duck Reach walk is located on the right-hand side of the road.|
Leaving from Cataract Gorge’s First Basin carpark, the track curves around the basin towards the eastern side of the South Esk River via a well-formed track. Scenic views across the basin are immediately presented as the trail makes its way past Alexandra Bridge above the South Esk River.
Passing beside Alexandra Bridge, the trail gets slightly rougher but is still easily managed as it gently climbs along the river’s edge. For the next 1km, the trail weaves in and out of pleasant forest sections before reaching Sentinel Lookout above the river. From here, panoramic views of the river are presented.
The trail continues for another kilometre before descending steeply to the suspension bridge across from Duck Reach Power Station Museum. Once at the power station, extensive signage and original equipment tell the story of the station’s operational history. Return via the same route.
Map for illustrative purposes only. Base map supplied by Land Information System Tasmania