The Painted Cliffs at Hopground Beach on Maria Island are stunningly patterned sandstone etched by ground water percolating through rock. The Cliffs are best viewed during low tide to allow safer access.
Leaving the ferry station at Darlington the Painted Cliffs track is an easy 4km return walk taking just under 2 hours. From Darlington head south via the gently inclined gravel road, passing Mrs Hunt’s Cottage after a few minutes. From here the road meanders along the coast for 2km before reaching Hopground Beach and the Painted Cliffs.
When returning to Darlington continue inland via the signposted Oast House Track. The Oast House, originally built in 1844 to dry hops, is one of the oldest convict ruins in Australia.
View Google Map Directions
|Located off Tasmania’s east coast, Maria Island can only be reached via ferry from Triabunna. For information on travel times and fares please go to https://encountermaria.com.au/
Take the Tasman Highway (A3) from Hobart through Sorell (Left hand turn in Sorell township). Continue 83km northeast to Triabunna. Just as you reach the township turn right onto Vicary Street and continue for 500m before turning right onto Charles Street. The Maria Island ferry and carpark are located 200m directly ahead on the esplanade.
The Painted Cliffs track leaves from the ferry area at Darlington.
Map for illustrative purposes only. Base map supplied by Land Information System Tasmania